Still not vaccinated? Find a COVID-19 vaccine provider near you. More Info
TO: HEADS OF ALL STATE DEPARTMENTS AND AGENCIES
RE: DELAWARE OPEN DATA COUNCIL TO PROMOTE A MORE OPEN, ACCOUNTABLE AND EFFECTIVE GOVERNMENT
WHEREAS, timely and consistent publication of public information and data is an essential component of an open, accountable and effective government; and
WHEREAS, the State of Delaware possesses information to conduct state business that could benefit the public, enhance research and improve economic growth;
WHEREAS, the State of Delaware has implemented an Open Data Portal and will continue to expand the data being made available;
WHEREAS, the State of Delaware should continue to promote sharing data among state agencies, when appropriate and permissible, to make state business more efficient and effective; and
WHEREAS, it is in the interest of this State to increase public awareness and access to data and information created by and available from State departments and agencies, enhance government transparency and accountability, encourage public engagement, and stimulate innovation with the development of new analyses or applications based on the unique data provided by the State.
NOW, THEREFORE, I, JOHN C. CARNEY, by virtue of the authority vested in me as Governor of the State of Delaware, do hereby DECLARE and ORDER the following:
1. The Delaware Open Data Council (hereinafter, the “Council”) is hereby continued, with modified membership, powers and duties as set forth herein.
2. The Council shall be responsible for establishing and recommending standards and policies to the Department of Technology and Information (“DTI”) and the sixteen cabinet departments and agencies (“Executive Branch Agencies” or “Agencies”) concerning a statewide data strategy and strategic plan, open data and the integration of data systems for information sharing among Executive Branch Agencies.
3. The Council shall consist of the following:
a. The State Chief Information Officer, who shall serve as co-chair;
b. The Director of the Government Information Center who shall serve as co-chair;
c. The Director of the Office of Management and Budget;
d. The Secretary of the Department of Health and Social Services;
e. The Secretary of State;
f. The Secretary of the Department of Natural Resources and Environmental Control;
g. The Secretary of the Department of Services for Children, Youth and Their Families;
h. The Secretary of the Department of Transportation;
i. The Secretary of Education;
j. The Commissioner of the Department of Correction;
k. The Secretary of the Department of Finance;
l. The Secretary of the Department of Safety and Homeland Security;
m. The Secretary of the Department of Agriculture;
n. The Secretary of the Department of Labor;
o. The Secretary of the Department of Human Resources;
p. The Director of the Delaware State Housing Authority;
q. The Adjutant General of the Delaware National Guard; and
r. The Governor’s Chief of Staff.
4. Members serving by virtue of position may appoint a designee from within their office or Agency to serve in their stead and at their pleasure.
5. The Council may establish subcommittees to focus on specific subject areas or issues.
6. The Council shall develop an Open Data Action Plan, which should outline the data targeted for inclusion in the Open Data Portal in the upcoming year. The Council shall update the Open Data Action Plan at least annually. The Council may develop data sharing agreements, data classification policies, and open data guidelines.
7. Each Executive Branch Agency shall provide to the Council an inventory of all datasets that the Agency can or may be able to include in the Open Data Portal by September 30, 2018.
8. To the extent permitted by applicable law, each Executive Branch Agency shall make an effort to publish all datasets identified in the inventory on the Open Data Portal by December 31, 2020.
9. State entities, bodies and instrumentalities not included in the definition of Executive Branch Agencies, including entities headed by independently elected Constitutional officers, counties, municipalities and the legislative and judicial branches of state government, are encouraged to work with the Council to identify data in their possession that may be appropriate for inclusion on the Delaware Open Data Portal. The Council is encouraged to provide technical assistance to any such entity that, subject to obtaining any approval required by law, chooses to participate in the Delaware Open Data Portal.
10. Executive Order Number 57, dated January 27, 2016, is hereby rescinded.
This Executive Order shall take effect immediately.
APPROVED this 12th day of February, 2018.
John C. Carney
Secretary of State