COVID-19 Vaccine Rollout Status: Phase 1B More Info
TO: HEADS OF ALL STATE DEPARTMENTS AND AGENCIES
RE: ESTABLISHMENT OF THE ADVISORY COUNCIL ON CONNECTED AND AUTONOMOUS VEHICLES
WHEREAS, connected and autonomous vehicles are becoming more prevalent and have the potential to radically transform how the world works, plays and lives; and
WHEREAS, vehicle-to-vehicle and vehicle-to-infrastructure technologies are being developed by every automotive manufacturer; and
WHEREAS, the economic impact of this new mobility opportunity could mean a better quality of life for Delawareans and spur businesses; and
WHEREAS, Delaware is uniquely able to be an early adopter in the connected and automated vehicle space due to its robust telecommunications system, the Delaware Department of Transportation’s (“DelDOT”) multi-modal mission, the State’s ownership and operation of over 90% of the roads and traffic signals, and its culture of innovation: and
WHEREAS, Delaware has continually upgraded and invested in its telecommunications and IT systems over the last 20 years, including DelDOT’s Integrated Transportation Management System (ITMS); and
WHEREAS, Delaware should be a proving ground for manufacturers of connected and autonomous vehicles as well as the Intelligent Transportation System’s technology infrastructure that will be required; and
WHEREAS, there is a need to evaluate the impact this emerging technology will have on public safety, cyber security, legal issues, privacy and the design and construction of the transportation network; and
WHEREAS, it is important to review Delaware laws relating to the regulation of connected and autonomous vehicles and their drivers, and how the laws relate to the rules of the road, in order to remove barriers to entry for companies interested in participating in the new era of transportation;
NOW, THEREFORE, I, JOHN C. CARNEY, by virtue of the authority vested in me as Governor of the State of Delaware, do hereby declare and order the following:
1. The Advisory Council on Connected and Autonomous Vehicles is hereby established. The Advisory Council shall consist of no less than 19 members:
a. The Secretary of the Delaware Department of Transportation (“DelDOT”);
b. The Director of the Division of Small Business, Development and Tourism Office;
c. The Secretary of Delaware Safety & Homeland Security (“DSHS);
d. The Attorney General of Delaware;
e. The Chief Information Officer of the Department of Technology and Information;
f. The Director of the Delaware Division of Motor Vehicles (“DMV”)
g. Two Representatives appointed by the Speaker of the House;
h. Two Representatives appointed by the President Pro Tempore of the Senate;
i. The Chairperson of the Delaware Automobile and Truck Dealers’ Association;
j. A Representative of the American Automobile Association (AAA) Mid-Atlantic.
k. The Delaware Insurance Commissioner;
l. The President of the Alliance of Automobile Manufacturers;
m. The President of the Delaware Motor Transport Association;
n. The Director of the University of Delaware Institute for Public Administration
o. The Chair of the Wilmington Metropolitan Area Planning Council;
p. The Chair of the Dover/Kent Metropolitan Area Planning Council;
q. The Sussex County Administrator; and
r. Such other persons as the Governor may from time to time appoint.
2. Members serving by virtue of position may appoint a designee to serve in their stead and at their pleasure.
3. Additional members may be appointed by and serve at the pleasure of the Governor. The Governor may appoint a chairperson from among the members.
4. DelDOT shall provide staff and fiscal support to the Advisory Council as part of DelDOT’s ongoing responsibility.
5. The Advisory Council is tasked with developing recommendations for innovative tools and strategies that can be used to prepare Delaware’s transportation network for connected and autonomous vehicles. The Advisory Council shall make recommendations regarding at least the following subject areas:
a. Promoting economic development
b. Technology, security and privacy
c. Transportation network infrastructure
d. Impacts on public and highway safety
6. The Advisory Council shall provide a report of its activities and any recommendations within one year of the signing of the Executive Order to the Governor and General Assembly.
APPROVED this 5th day of September, 2017
John C. Carney
Secretary of State