Delaware’s Phase 1 and Phase 2 reopening plan provides general and sector-specific guidance for Delawareans and Delaware businesses.
Governor Carney on Delaware’s Economic Reopening:
“We’re all ready to get our economy going again, and to spend more time with our friends and loved ones. Since Day 1 of this crisis, Delaware’s response to COVID-19 has been driven by the science. We can’t have a healthy, functioning economy again until our communities are healthy. There is good news. Delawareans have worked together, stayed home, and saved lives. Your actions have driven down cases and hospitalizations statewide. That will help us reopen Delaware’s economy safely in the coming weeks – while protecting the most vulnerable Delawareans.
“As we move through this rolling reopening, we have to stay vigilant. We have to keep our distance from one another. Wash our hands frequently. Wear face coverings in public places. This is an unusual time, for sure. But these basic precautions will help us limit the spread of COVID-19 and protect Delawareans.”
Read Phase 2 Guidance – Beginning June 15, 2020 (updated 6/14/20)
We’re all in this together.
Delaware needs healthy communities before we can have a healthy economy again. At the same time, Governor Carney believes it is important to look forward.
Delaware is gradually lifting restrictions in a rolling reopening of the economy.
- The Delaware Prosperity Partnership and the Division of Small Business partnered with members of the General Assembly and local Chambers of Commerce to engage the business community and local leaders in planning around safely reopening Delaware’s economy.
- Delaware continues to work with surrounding states to share intelligence and make decisions deliberately, based on the science and the situation on the ground.
- Governor Carney announced Interim Steps allowing small businesses to expand their services with social distancing in place effective at 8:00 a.m. on Friday, May 8.
- Governor Carney and the Delaware Division of Public Health launched a universal COVID-19 testing program for staff and residents in long-term care facilities statewide.
- Delaware significantly expanded the statewide testing program.
- The State of Delaware entered into an agreement with the nonpartisan research institution NORC at the University of Chicago to build Delaware’s statewide contact tracing program to contain COVID-19, limit Delawareans’ exposure to the disease, and restart Delaware’s economy.
- Governor Carney released additional Interim Steps allowing retail establishments and restaurants to expand operations – while maintaining social distancing to prevent spread of COVID-19.
- Governor Carney lifted State of Delaware restrictions on Delaware beaches ahead of the Memorial Day weekend.
- In addition to Phase 1, effective June 1:
- Governor Carney released guidance on Summer Camp and Summer School Programs, effective June 15, 2020 in Phase 2.
- Phase 2 will begin on June 15, 2020. Read guidance.
- Effective June 8, 2020, personal care service businesses and private instruction may resume. Read guidance in Phase 1.
- In Phase 2, youth sports may resume. Read guidance.
- Rolling Reopening: Personal care services can expand to 60 percent; tournaments may resume with approved safety plans. Read announcement.
- A Phase 3 start date will be announced during the week of June 29, 2020. Read Governor Carney’s statement.
Restarting Delaware’s Economy
As we lift restrictions in Phase 1, we are focused on:
Recovery Town Halls
The Delaware Division of Small Business and the Delaware Prosperity Partnership partnered with members of the General Assembly and local Chambers of Commerce on virtual recovery town halls. Lieutenant Governor Hall-Long hosted similar, virtual town hall meetings with stakeholder groups and members of the public to collect public feedback that informed Delaware’s reopening plan and enabled interim steps for businesses prior to Phase 1.
Delaware Division of Small Business and the Delaware Prosperity Partnership
- Small Business Recovery Town Hall – Monday, April 27 – 2:00 p.m. – Eastern Sussex County
- Small Business Recovery Town Hall – Tuesday, April 28 – 6:00 p.m. – Southern New Castle County
- Small Business Recovery Town Hall – Thursday, April 30 – 10:00 a.m. – Western Sussex County
- Small Business Recovery Town Hall – Thursday, April 30 – 6:00 p.m. – Newark Area
- Small Business Recovery Town Hall – Monday, May 4 – 2:00 p.m. – Kent County
- Small Business Recovery Town Hall – Tuesday, May 5 – 6:00 p.m. – Wilmington Area
- Small Business Recovery Town Hall – Wednesday, May 6 – 6:00 p.m. – Northern New Castle County
Public Recovery Town Halls with Lieutenant Governor Hall-Long
- Recovery Town Hall – Wednesday, April 29 – 6:00 p.m. – Kent County
- Recovery Town Hall – Monday, May 4 – 6:00 p.m. – Northern New Castle County
- Recovery Town Hall – Wednesday, May 6 – 7:30 p.m. – Sussex County
- Recovery Town Hall – Thursday, May 7 – 6:00 p.m. – Southern New Castle County
Official COVID-19 Website for the State of Delaware
Delaware Division of Small Business – General and Industry Guidance
Delaware Prosperity Partnership
Delaware Department of Agriculture