TO: HEADS OF ALL STATE DEPARTMENTS AND AGENCIES
RE: 2020 CENSUS – GOVERNOR’S COMPLETE COUNT COMMISSION
WHEREAS, under Section 141 of Title 13 of the United States Code, the next federal decennial census will be conducted on April 1, 2020; and
WHEREAS, the 2020 Census will provide the official count of Delaware’s population; and
WHEREAS, a complete and accurate count of Delaware’s population is critical to the State because the census count will be used to determine congressional representation, the allocation of federal funds to Delaware for an entire decade, state redistricting, and forecasting future transportation needs; and
WHEREAS, the U.S. Census Bureau recommends that each state create a State Complete Count Commission; and
WHEREAS, the Complete Count Commission shall develop, recommend and assist in the administration of a census outreach strategy to heighten awareness of the 2020 Census and encourage full participation from Delawareans; and
WHEREAS, it is vitally important for the State to do everything it can to ensure that every Delawarean is counted in the upcoming census.
NOW, THEREFORE, I, JOHN C. CARNEY, by virtue of the authority vested in me as Governor of the State of Delaware, do hereby DECLARE and ORDER the following:
1. The Governor’s Complete Count Commission (“Commission”) is hereby established to assist the U.S. Census Bureau in conducting the 2020 Census.
2. The Commission shall be coordinated through the Office of State Planning Coordination which shall provide administrative support to the Commission.
3. The Commission shall act in an advisory capacity to the Governor and shall have the following objectives:
a. raise awareness of the importance of responding to the census questionnaire and ensure maximum participation in the Census by Delaware citizens; and
b. develop strategies to overcome the difficulties in enumerating areas or groups within Delaware that are isolated geographically, linguistically, or culturally.
4. The Commission shall consist of the following members:
a. Lieutenant Governor who shall Chair the Commission;
b. Speaker of the House;
c. President Pro Tempore;
d. Secretary of State;
e. Commissioner of the Department of Correction;
f. Director of State Planning;
g. Secretary of the Department of Labor;
h. Director of the Office of Management and Budget;
i. Secretary of the Department of Health and Social Services;
j. Chief Information Officer of the Department of Technology and Information;
k. Secretary for the Department of Safety and Homeland Security;
l. Director of the Delaware State Housing Authority;
m. Secretary of the Department of Agriculture;
n. President of the Delaware League of Local Government;
o. The Mayor of the City of Wilmington;
p. County Executive for New Castle County;
q. President of Kent County Levy Court;
r. President of Sussex County Council;
s. President of the State Chamber of Commerce;
t. Chair of the Delaware Alliance for Non-profit Advancement;
u. Three members appointed by the Governor, to serve at his pleasure, to include at least one representative from: a faith-based organization; an underrepresented population; and a public member.
5. Members serving by virtue of position may appoint a designee from their office to serve in their stead and at their pleasure.
6. The Commission shall serve without compensation.
7. The Commission shall consult with the U.S. Census Bureau regarding the fulfillment of its objectives, including resources for training and outreach, when and as the Chair determines to be appropriate.
8. The Commission may create and appoint subcommittees, each to be Chaired by a member of the Commission, as it deems appropriate and shall solicit participation from relevant experts for the purpose of helping the Commission better achieve its objectives with respect to discrete issues of geographic areas and “hard-to-count” populations.
9. The Commission shall meet at least quarterly, and as often as required to fulfill its objectives.
10. The Commission shall provide a final report to the Governor, no later than January 1, 2020, summarizing its activities and setting forth its recommended plans and strategies for maximizing participation in the 2020 Census from Delawareans.
This Executive Order shall take effect immediately, and expire on July 1, 2020.
APPROVED this 9th day of August, 2018
John C. Carney
Secretary of State