TO: Heads Of All State Departments and Agencies
RE: Establishing a Uniform Statewide Anti-Discrimination Policy
WHEREAS, the State of Delaware is committed to promoting equal employment opportunities and workplaces free of unlawful discrimination; and
WHEREAS, following past directives, each Department and Agency within the Executive Branch (collectively “Executive Branch Agencies”) implemented its own internal policy and procedures for addressing complaints of discrimination; and
WHEREAS, a uniform policy and procedures will permit standardized training of State personnel and will otherwise allow more effective and efficient promotion of equal employment opportunities.
NOW, THEREFORE, I, JOHN C. CARNEY, by virtue of the authority vested in me as Governor of the State of Delaware, do hereby DECLARE and ORDER the following:
- The Human Resources Management Division of the State of Delaware Office of Management and Budget (“HRM”) shall update its Statewide anti-discrimination policies, in accordance with State and Federal laws, into a single, uniform policy, which will become the controlling standard for all Executive Branch Agencies.
- This uniform policy shall include, but not be limited to:
a. Statewide anti-discrimination guidelines to be followed by each Executive Branch Agency.
b. Complaint procedures to be followed by each Executive Branch Agency.
- Prior to implementation the uniform policy shall be sent to and reviewed by each Executive Branch Agency’s human resources manager for input and feedback.
- HRM shall implement the uniform policy no later than April 1, 2017.
- The uniform policy shall be distributed by each Agency/Department official to its employees, contractors, and casual/seasonal employees. Each Agency/Department official shall take all necessary steps to implement the uniform policy.
- This Executive Order is intended to modify, and not rescind, Paragraphs 13 through 15 of Executive Order Number Eight, approved by Governor Markell and dated August 11, 2009. To the extent there are any inconsistencies between the terms of this Executive Order and Governor Markell’s Executive Order Number Eight, this Executive Order shall supersede.
APPROVED this 1st date of March 2017.
John C. Carney
Secretary of State
PDF of Executive Order